The Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) program encompasses smart meters and the associated communications devices that enable automated meter reading, remote connects/disconnects and quicker outage detection. AMI is a foundational investment to meet the changing needs and expectations of our customers.
Smart meters are a key component of a modern grid
- They have two-way communication capabilities and can transmit energy usage information back to Duke Energy more frequently than drive-by meters. This allows our customers to see much more detailed energy usage and billing information.
- Smart meters can also help us more quickly identify power outages and resolve other service requests and problems, typically without needing to visit a home or business.
Customer benefitsThe new smart meter will offer you many advantages, including:
- Access to new service and billing options like Pick Your Due Date and Usage Alerts
- Ability to see your detailed usage data daily, making it easier to use energy more efficiently and lower your bill
- Option to stop/start service can happen remotely, without an appointment
- Allows for improved response times and speeds outage repairs