We may use the information we obtain about you to:
- provide and manage our services, including to process, evaluate, communicate and fulfill requests, inquiries and claims we receive in connection with our services;
- create, manage, administer and communicate with you about your account, including identifying and authenticating you so you may access your account or use certain features of our Digital Services;
- personalize your experience with our Digital Services (such as to tailor content and information we may communicate to you, and to offer location-based and personalized content and communications);
- provide customer and technical support;
- process, evaluate and respond to requests, inquiries and applications we receive in connection with our services;
- provide you with information about Duke Energy;
- subject to applicable law, communicate about and administer our services, events, surveys, programs and promotions (such as by sending alerts, promotional materials, newsletters and other marketing communications);
- perform data analytics (such as market research, trend analysis, data aggregation and anonymization, financial analysis and customer segmentation);
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (including administering, enhancing and improving our services; developing new services; managing our communications and customer relationships; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- protect against and prevent fraud and other unlawful activity, unauthorized transactions, claims and other liabilities;
- maintain and enhance the safety and security of our services, network, information, customers, employees and others.
Third-Party Online Analytics Services
Through our Digital Services, we may obtain personal information about your online activities over time and across third-party apps, websites, devices and other online services. We use third-party online analytics services on our Digital Services, such as those of Google Analytics. The service providers that administer these analytics services use automated technologies to collect data (such as email, IP addresses, cookies and other device identifiers) to evaluate, for example, use of our Digital Services and to diagnose technical issues. For more information about how Google Analytics collects and processes data and the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, please visit www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html and https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites.
In our Digital Services, we may use certain Google Analytics advertising features, such as Remarketing with Google Analytics, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting, and integrated services that require Google Analytics to collect data for advertising purposes, including the collection of data via advertising cookies and identifiers. In connection with these Google Analytics advertising features, Google Analytics may collect data about your traffic via Google advertising cookies and identifiers. To learn more about how Google uses this information, please visit www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. If you do not want Google Analytics to use this information for the purpose of serving you targeted ads, you may opt out of certain Google Analytics advertising features by visiting the Google Ads Settings page available at https://adssettings.google.com/.
Online Tracking and Interest-Based Advertising
Through our Digital Services, both we and certain third parties may collect information about your online activities to provide you with advertising about products, services and corporate initiatives tailored to your individual interests. Where required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent for the processing of your personal information for direct marketing purposes. You may see our ads on other websites or mobile apps because we participate in advertising networks. Ad networks allow us to target our messaging to users considering demographic data, users’ inferred interests and browsing context. These networks track users’ online activities over time by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of browser cookies, web beacons, device identifiers, server logs and other similar technologies. The networks use this information to show ads that may be tailored to individuals’ interests, to track users’ browsers or devices across multiple websites and apps, and to build a profile of users’ online browsing and app usage activities. The information our ad networks may collect includes data about users’ visits to websites and apps that participate in the relevant ad networks, such as the pages or ads viewed and the actions taken on the websites or apps. This data collection takes place both on our Digital Services and on third-party websites and apps that participate in the ad networks. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts.
To learn how to opt out of ad network interest-based advertising in the U.S., please visit www.aboutads.info/choices and http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.