Rogers Energy Complex

Formerly: Cliffside Steam Station
Retirement: 2011 (Units 1-4)
Capacity: 1,387 megawatts
Location: Cleveland and Rutherford counties, North Carolina
Commercial Date: 1940
Status: Operating

In 2013, the Cliffside Steam Station was renamed after James E. Rogers Jr., a former CEO of Duke Energy. The coal- and natural gas-fired units are still referred to as Cliffside units 5 and 6. Units 1-4 were constructed between 1938 and 1948 and retired in 2011. In 2018, natural gas was added to the station, allowing up to 40% natural gas co-firing on unit 5 and up to 100% on unit 6. For every pound of coal displaced with natural gas, sulfur dioxide will be reduced by an estimated 99%, and carbon dioxide emissions will be reduced by about 40% per megawatt-hour.

Have a Question? Email your questions to:
CoalAshQuestions@duke-energy.com

Plant Happenings

Information included in recent neighbor updates, along with work and progress at the site.

Date

Title

Oct. 21, 2020

Neighbor update on ash basin excavation

April 29, 2020

The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality approved the ash basin closure plan for Rogers Energy Complex (Cliffside Steam Station) based on its determination that the plan is “protective of public health, safety, and welfare; the environment; and natural resources and otherwise complies with the requirements of CAMA” (North Carolina’s Coal Ash Management Act).

Jan. 15, 2020

The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality is hosting public meetings regarding our ash basin closure plans in February. Plans can be seen here: Active Ash Basin Closure Plan; Inactive Ash Basin Closure Plan; Corrective Action Plan.

icon resources

News & Resources

Information

{{columnHeading}}
{{row.a.Text}} {{row.b}} {{ row.c| date : 'MM/dd/yyyy'}}

This information is currently unavailable

Please check again later

@ Sign up for email