Downtown Asheville Energy Investments
About the Projects
In the past 20 years, Asheville has grown and so have its energy needs. Duke Energy is committed to meeting these needs and providing reliable electricity to downtown Asheville by:
- Rebuilding the substation located at Rankin Avenue, which is more than 50 years old
- Building a new substation at Patton Avenue, which the city of Asheville approved in 2019
While both projects were temporarily paused, Duke Energy and the city of Asheville have restarted work to identify an ideal location to rebuild the Rankin Avenue substation and discuss timing for building the new substation on Patton Avenue. During both projects, Duke Energy is committed to engaging the community throughout the process, providing neighboring residents and businesses opportunities to ask questions and gather information.
Rankin Avenue Substation Rebuild
Duke Energy and the city of Asheville are exploring rebuilding the substation on the parcel adjacent to the existing substation located at Rankin Avenue and Hiawassee Street.
In February 2023, Duke Energy conducted surveying and site explorations around the proposed site at Rankin Avenue. Once results from our studies confirm this location, Duke Energy will begin substation design plans, including aesthetic considerations. Those plans will be shared with the community over the next several months.
During the construction process, Duke Energy will place a mobile substation at Patton Avenue – the future home of a second new substation.
Patton Avenue Substation Build
Once construction is completed at the Rankin Avenue substation, we will move forward with construction plans for the new Patton Avenue substation.
Approved by the Asheville City Council in 2019, the Patton Avenue plans include a GIS (gas-insulated, high-voltage switchgear) substation near the corner of Patton Avenue and Knoxville Place.
January 2023 - Duke Energy and city of Asheville restarted work to explore an ideal location for rebuilding the Rankin Avenue substation and discussed timing for the new Patton Avenue substation.
Help power homes, community facilities and businesses in Downtown Asheville.
Help accommodate fluctuating demand and improve resiliency during severe weather.
Address the need for additional electric capacity in Downtown Asheville.
- The rebuilt substation at Rankin Avenue and the new substation at Patton Avenue will help enable Duke Energy to continue providing reliable electricity that meets Asheville’s growing energy needs.
- The rebuilt substation at Rankin Avenue will help mitigate against future energy disruptions as it will replace aging infrastructure.
- The new substation at Patton Avenue will help provide greater capacity for the growing community.
- Both projects play an integral role in helping to maintain and strengthen a robust system for supplying and delivering energy.