Safety Around Power Lines
The following tips can help you stay safe if severe weather strikes and the power goes out:
- Stay away from power lines that have fallen or are sagging.
- Consider all power lines – as well as trees, limbs and anything else in contact with power lines – energized and dangerous.
- Report all power line hazards to Duke Energy at 800.228.8485, or contact your local emergency services department or agency.
- Keep children and family pets away from areas where lines may have fallen (backyards, fields, schoolyards, etc.).
- If a power line falls across a car that you're in, stay in the car. If you MUST get out of the car due to a fire or other immediate life-threatening situation, do your best to jump clear of the car and land on both feet. Be sure that no part of your body is touching the car when your feet touch the ground.