New Infrastructure Facts
- Initial work will involve the replacement of approximately 6 miles of pipeline.
- Constructed of a more robust steel with a fusion-bonded epoxy coating to help prevent corrosion.
- Built-in state-of-the-art safety inspection features.
Project Overview and Need
- Replace & Upgrade Existing Natural Gas Infrastructure
50-year- old natural gas infrastructure will be replaced with a modern pipeline constructed from stronger materials with state-of-the-art monitoring equipment and inspection technology. Replacing infrastructure that has been around since the 1960s is the prudent thing to do.
- Regulatory Compliance
Our system must be upgraded from time-to-time to maintain compliance with federal regulations.
- Enhance Our Natural Gas System
The upgraded pipeline will allow us to enhance our natural gas system to continue to provide safe and reliable service to Southwestern Ohio customers for decades to come.
Application and Oversight
Duke Energy will submit a full application to the Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB).
What is the Mega Rule?
The Mega Rule went into effect in July 2020. More than 300,000 miles of transmission pipeline in the United States are covered by the Mega Rule. It is designed to increase the level of safety associated with the transportation of natural gas as well as the operation of natural gas infrastructure.