Surge Coverage & Grounding Enhanced
Frequently Asked Questions
- Surge damage often can occur to items such as: electrical components of televisions, computers (desktop, tablet and laptop versions), Blu-Ray/DVD players, gaming systems, refrigerators, clothes washers and dryers, dishwashers and garage door openers.
- The best way to tell if your item has been damaged by a surge is to go to a licensed service provider. If your item is plugged into a plug-in surge protector, check to see if it is still working properly. If not, you may want to consider bypassing the protector to check to see if your item is still working.
- Grounding coverage
- Central air conditioning
- Heat pumps
- Home entertainment systems
- Gaming consoles
- Cordless phones
- Ceiling fans
- Washing machines
- Garage door openers
- And more*
*Excluded items include: antiques, pre-existing damage, cosmetic damage and damage caused by misuse or improper installation and any covered items with a replacement value of under $100. Full list of exclusions is available in Terms and Conditions.
- To submit a claim, you must complete our Surge Coverage and Grounding Claim form. For additional questions, please call 888.999.8856.
- Contact one of our qualified service providers, who will assess the damage and help you make repairs.
Age of Appliance/Electronic Equipment % Paid After Depreciation Less than 1 year 100%
Greater than 1 year but less than 2 years 95% Greater than 2 years but less than 3 years
90% Greater than 3 years but less than 4 years
85% Greater than 4 years but less than 5 years
80% Greater than 5 years but less than 6 years
75% Greater than 6 years but less than 7 years
70% Greater than 7 years but less than 8 years
65% Greater than 8 years but less than 9 years
60% Greater than 9 years but less than 10 years
55% Greater than 10 years
- Surge Coverage and Grounding is automatically transferred to your new home when you move within the Duke Energy territory and there is no 30-day waiting period for covered repairs. If you do not want Surge Coverage and Grounding at your new residence, simply call 888.999.8856.