At the same time, these practices help our suppliers grow, create jobs, and provide a positive local economic impact. We are invested in our suppliers success and the vitality of the communities we serve.
Our 2021 Supplier Diversity Impact Report shows the impact we are making.
2021 by the Numbers
Total Tier 1 diverse spend
(Tier 1 represents direct purchases from diverse or local suppliers.)
Total Tier 2 diverse spend
(Tier 2 represents spend by Duke Energy suppliers with diverse suppliers/subcontractors.)
Total diverse spend
Jobs supported in our local communities – Carolinas, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee
Added value to local gross regional product (GRP)
To create awareness of opportunities to work with Duke Energy and build a stronger diverse supplier base, we actively host and participate in business development events, and engage with community economic development organizations and other entities that support diverse businesses.
Duke Energy hosts events for current and prospective suppliers, including the Supplier Diversity University and Supplier Exchange Forum. Through these events, we seek to educate, develop and cultivate relationships with diverse vendor businesses.
- The Supplier Diversity University, launched in 2021, is an invitation only initiative designed for diverse suppliers with utility experience or who have the capacity to provide products and services needed to support our core business. The event provides resources and information on how to do business with Duke Energy. Participants will engage with prime suppliers and internal stakeholders to gain insight in upcoming opportunities.
- Our Supplier Exchange Forum is a valuable networking opportunity for Duke Energy suppliers and corporate leadership. During the event, key industry insights are shared, and we present awards to recognize suppliers who share our commitment to safety, environmental stewardship, and economic development through inclusion of diverse suppliers.
Interested in working with us?
Diverse Supplier Certification
The growth and development of a diverse supplier base is crucial to Duke Energy’s continued success. That is why we are asking our suppliers to obtain third-party certification from one or more Recognized Certifying Agencies (RCAs).
Supplier Diversity and Certification
- To be considered diverse, a business must be at least 51% owned by one or more individuals in the below classifications. In addition, the owners must control the management and daily operations of the business.
- Service-disabled Veteran
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual or Transgender (LGBT)
- Certified Federal HUBZone Business
Meet the Supplier Diversity Team
2022 Impact Report
Reducing carbon emissions in our supply chain, promoting economic development and building diversity in our supply base.