2017 Duke Energy Health & Safety Handbook
Contractors, consultants and their personnel (including subcontractors) involved in the performance of services for Duke Energy's Fossil / Hydro Generation facilities must complete the following orientation information below. The completion of any required information will be the responsibility of the prospective Contractor and their firm prior to performing any services at Duke Energy's Fossil / Hydro Generation facilities.
- Generic Duke Energy Fossil / Hydro Generation Contractor EHS Orientation (English version)
- Generic Duke Energy Fossil / Hydro Generation Contractor EHS Orientation (Spanish version)
- Station / fleet-specific EHS Orientation
- Review of applicable sections of the Duke Energy Safe Work Practices Manual
The following list identifies pre-requisite EHS training that Duke Energy expects any contracting, subcontracting or consulting firm to provide their employees prior to arriving to perform work at ANY Duke Energy Fossil / Hydro Generation facilities, regardless of potential hazard exposure:
EHS for Contract Office Workers
The following required hazard/exposure-specific EHS Training listed below. The completion of any required training and information will be the responsibility of the prospective contractor and their firm prior to performing any services at Duke Energy. Additional training may be required by your Duke Energy Fossil / Hydro Generation facility sponsor.
- Lockout / Tag-Out Protected Worker Training
- Lockout / Tag-Out Work Leader (for contractor supervisors supervising protected workers)
- Fall Hazard Awareness Training
- Ammonia Awareness Training (Stations with ammonia on site)
- Ammonia Worker Training (Belews Creek, Cliffside, East Bend and Gibson stations only)
- Site Emergency Action Plan Training Combustible Dust Training (coal plants only)
- Hot Work Program Training
- Safeguarding Floor and Wall Openings Training
- Lead and Asbestos Awareness Training
Prior to performing any labor services at Duke Energy Fossil Hydro facilities, the contractor shall ensure completion of the following for their employees, including subcontractors:
- Contractor shall review their scope of work with the Duke Energy liaison and provide OSHA-required health and safety program training to their employees. Prior to or upon site arrival, training documentation shall be provided to the Duke Energy site liaison using the format provided in this link: Contractor EHS Training Documentation.
- Contractor shall ensure completion of orientation and other Duke Energy Fossil Hydro-specified training for their employees, including subcontractors. Those training topics are shown below. Training will be provided on site or by completion of specified PowerSafe modules prior to site arrival. Training method shall be specified by the Duke Energy site liaison. When PowerSafe module completion is specified, reference the contractor communication document provided at this link: Contractor Communication – PowerSafe Frequently Asked Questions. PowerSafe training is completed using the PowerSafeTraining.org website: Utility Safety Training | PowerSafe
- PowerSafe Generation (required at all sites)
- Duke Energy General FHO Orientation (required at all sites)
- Duke Energy Lockout/Tagout (required at all sites)
- Duke Energy Human Performance (required at all sites)
- Duke Energy Dropped Object Prevention (required at all sites)
- Duke Energy Hazardous Locations and Intrinsically Safe Equipment (required at all sites)
- Combustible Dust (required at sites having combustible dust)
- Duke Energy PSM/RMP Orientation (required at sites having hazardous chemicals requiring Process Safety Management)
Fossil Hydro site-specific orientation will be provided upon site arrival.