Assistance is available for income-eligible residents
You should never have to choose between heating your home or paying for basic necessities. If you meet certain income levels, the Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services (DSS) is offering help.
Those who qualify could receive payments between $300 and $500 on the account of their electric heat bill this winter, through the Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP). Please note that you must specify which fuel source you use to heat your home.
While you must live in Mecklenburg County and meet income requirements, you do not have to be at risk of disconnection or have a past-due balance to apply for support. To get started, please download an application on the DSS website.
Easily apply online, via phone, by mail or drop off
Download the LIEAP application on the DSS website and choose the application process that is easiest for you:
- Mail your completed paper application to Mecklenburg County DSS, 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, NC 28211.
- Email your completed digital application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call the Mecklenburg County DSS Call Center at 704.432.1111 or 704.336.3000 to complete a telephone application. A representative will contact you after to begin the interview process.
- Drop off a completed paper application at one of Mecklenburg County’s DSS locations:
- Wallace Kuralt Building at 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, NC 28211
- Community Resource Center at 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000, Charlotte, NC 28208
When to apply
- Dec. 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021 (Seniors 60+)
- Jan. 4, 2021 – March 31, 2021 (all others)