Duke Energy Progress South Carolina Rate Review Request
How we're building a smarter, more reliable energy future for the Palmetto State.
The energy sector is in a period of transformation and profound change driven by technological advancements, environmental and regulatory mandates, unpredictable and extreme weather, energy security and resiliency efforts, as well as changing customer expectations.
We are taking steps to anticipate and keep pace with the changes occurring in the Palmetto State to better serve our customers.
On Sept. 1, 2022, Duke Energy Progress (DEP) filed the utility’s first base rate case in four years in South Carolina.
Recent investments made to increase system reliability and resiliency, achieve a cleaner, smarter energy future, and focus on operational excellence and enhancing the customer experience to more than 172,000 customers in the Pee Dee region of South Carolina are the primary reasons behind this request. The Public Service Commission of South Carolina (PSCSC) will ultimately determine what’s appropriate for customer rates based on a long-standing and very transparent public process for reviewing rate increase requests.
We know electricity is a significant monthly expense for many customers and no one wants to see rising electric bills. This is particularly true now as a rising-cost environment across many sectors of our economy impacts consumers and businesses throughout South Carolina and the nation.
That’s why we work every day to keep costs as low as possible for our customers and to avoid an increase to customer bills whenever possible, and we aggressively manage costs to delay the need to increase rates.
We are committed to helping customers who struggle to pay for basic needs with programs and tools to reduce their energy costs and keep their power on.
However, the conditions under which we operate have continued to evolve since the company’s last base rate change request in 2018. This changing environment challenges our ability to continue to provide the level of electric service our customers expect. These challenges affect the energy industry as a whole and the investments we have made and must continue to make are designed to keep pace with evolving customer needs and expectations.
Recognizing these challenges, the company is committed to continue providing safe, reliable, affordable, and increasingly clean electricity to our customers with high quality customer service, both today and in the future.
To achieve this, we must continue to invest in improving our grid and protecting it from extreme weather; the orderly transition to a clean, secure energy future; investing in ways to make the energy we produce more diverse, more resilient, and even more efficient for the benefit of our customers; and investing in new technologies to enhance the customer experience.
Through smart investments, we’re working hard to meet customers’ expectations and build the foundation for a smarter energy future from which all South Carolinians can benefit. These investments are the main reason for the proposed rate increase.
Operational excellence and enhancing the customer experience
- Customers today want more stream-lined options and versatility, driven by information about how they consume energy and by tools that help them manage their consumption.
- Duke Energy Progress has taken steps to continuously improve the service our customers receive from, and the interactions they have with, the company since our last base rate increase.
Increasing reliability and resiliency
- Technology is transforming South Carolina and changing the way customers use electricity and interact with their electric provider. Reliability remains essential as an increasingly connected population continues to expand. Today, the need for consistent, reliable service is not just the expectation of industry and manufacturing but extends into every home and business especially given the pandemic-related shift to hybrid work arrangements and online/home schooling—even at a time when that reliability is challenged by the increasing frequency of severe weather events and the threat of physical and cyber-attack.
- Actions the company is taking to increase reliability and resiliency include our investments in cleaner, highly efficient generation resources and our continued plans to invest in our distribution grid, smart meters, and the tools we use to communicate with our customers.
Achieving a cleaner and smarter energy future
- Duke Energy Progress is actively pursuing an orderly transition towards achieving a clean, secure energy future by taking steps to close the final chapters on our reliance on coal-fired generation and moving toward lower fuel-dependent generation resources.
- The voices of our customers and our investors have become increasingly clear on this topic -- they expect us to invest in cleaner power and are making economic growth decisions based on those expectations.
Your voice matters
As part of the evaluation process, the PSCSC will hold virtual public hearings to hear directly from customers on the request to increase their bills. Public hearings are an important part of this process. Customers can also provide written comments to the PSCSC.
The hearings have been scheduled for the following dates. Details on participating will be provided when available:
Jan. 3, 2023
Jan. 4, 2023
Jan. 5, 2023
Additional resourcesThe complete request and additional information can be found at the PSCSC website, docket number 2022-254-E.
Read the news release.
View the fact sheet.
Find programs and services that can help assist customers with their energy bills.
Get lots of tips plus step-by-step directions for easy improvements like caulking and weatherstripping.
Get a predictable bill every month to make staying on budget easier.
Get notifications about your energy use to help stay on budget and in control.
Shift your energy use to different times and save money.
Conveniently manage your account and track your energy usage all in one place.
Track your daily energy use and adjust usage habits to help save on your next bill.
Manage your account from anywhere. See usage, billing history and personalized offers.
Get a free in-home energy assessment to help you save.
Get rebates to help you save money and energy with our Smart $aver® home improvement rebate program.
Our FREE referral service connects you with industry-certified pros backed by Duke Energy. These pros can help you make your home more energy efficient.
Get deep discounts on a variety of energy-efficient products for your home shipped right to your door.