Understanding our claims policy and process

We understand that property damage and loss create additional stress and can sometimes pose a financial burden. If you believe Duke Energy caused a loss for which you should be compensated, you may submit a claim using our online form. To evaluate your claim fairly and respond promptly, we’ll need you to provide certain information and documentation.

Be aware that Duke Energy is not responsible for food loss, power outages, voltage fluctuations or property damage caused by acts of nature. This includes but is not limited to hurricanes, snow, ice, lightning, floods, extreme storms, heat or wind.

If Duke Energy is proven to be responsible for all or a portion of a loss, we will do our best to determine the reasonable amount of that loss and resolve the claim. Keep in mind that Duke Energy uses depreciation to determine compensation for equipment loss.


We are committed to providing a continuous and reliable supply of electricity to our customers. However, like all other utilities, our company cannot guarantee continuity of service. Therefore, Duke Energy will not be liable for damages caused by circumstances beyond our control, including but not limited to:

  • Power outages, voltage fluctuations or property damage caused by weather-related conditions (i.e., hurricanes, lightning, floods, snow, ice, extreme storms, heat or wind) or other acts of nature.
  • Damage caused by the negligence of a third party (someone not employed by Duke Energy). Example: A driver crashes into a utility pole and causes a power outage.
  • Losses due to animal contacts.

  • Duke Energy uses a third-party administrator, Sedgwick, to manage and process claims. If you have questions or concerns about a submitted claim, please contact Sedgwick to speak with the representative handling your claim.
  • You can help us process your claim faster by completing the online form thoroughly. Include photographs as needed, and provide complete and accurate supporting documentation such as:
    • Property damage: Detailed repair estimates and/or invoices or purchase records (make sure to indicate model number, serial number and year of any equipment for which you are seeking compensation). Take photos of the damaged items.
    • Personal injury: Copy of medical records and receipts.
    • Lost wages: Amount of time you were unable to work due to personal injury, verification of lost time from your employer, payroll stubs showing your hourly or daily pay rate. The time you spend to pursue your claim is not compensable.
    • Lost revenues: Tax records and/or bank statements, payroll records, revenue and expense statements, and sales receipts.
    • Miscellaneous losses: Hotel and restaurant receipts, car rental receipts directly caused by your loss.

  • You have the option to refer your claim to your insurance company. The insurer may be able to reimburse you for your losses without an investigation and will, in some cases, pay replacement value for damaged items. Your insurer and Duke Energy can determine if we are responsible for the damages and agree on the amount due, if any. Duke Energy does not pay replacement value for damaged items.
  • You should submit a claim as soon as possible. Depending on the type of claim, it is possible to submit it too late. To determine whether a claim is timely submitted, Duke Energy is guided by the applicable legal time limits (called “statutes of limitations”) for the filing of legal actions set by each state Legislature or other applicable law.
  • Duke Energy evaluates all claims fairly. If your claim is denied, we will explain the reason for the denial. If you are not satisfied with our decision and explanation, you may request an appeal of the decision by contacting the Sedgwick claims representative with whom you have been communicating and advise them of your concern. You also have the right, at any time in the claims process, to file a court action, including a small claims action, according to the laws in your state.
@ Sign up for email