Choose State Change Location

Project Description

The primary purpose of the Yadkin-Pee Dee River Project is to provide peaking and load-following generation for Duke Energy. Located in the Uwharrie Lakes Region in North Carolina's central piedmont, the project area is characterized by forested rolling hills and open rural farmland, accentuated by one of the oldest mountain ranges in North America the Uwharrie Mountains. The scenic and tranquil characteristics of this area provide a wide range of recreational activities including hiking, horseback riding, boating, fishing, camping, swimming, picnicking, mountain biking and off-road vehicle access.

The Yadkin-Pee Dee River Project includes the Tillery and Blewett Falls Developments, which have operated safely and reliably for over 80 years and provide an important clean, renewable electrical generation source for customers in the Duke Energy service territory.

Tillery

The Tillery Hydroelectric Development is located in Montgomery and Stanly counties, approximately four miles west of Mount Gilead, North Carolina. Construction of the Tillery Development began in 1926, and the power plant was placed into service during 1928. The powerhouse contains four vertical shaft turbines. The Tillery impoundment, also known as Lake Tillery, extends upstream to the tailrace of the Falls Development powerhouse, which is owned and operated by Alcoa Power Generating Inc. (APGI). River flows into Lake Tillery are largely controlled by the schedule of upstream releases from APGI's four-development Yadkin Project.

Blewett Falls

The Blewett Falls Hydroelectric Development is located in Richmond and Anson counties, approximately six miles west of Rockingham, North Carolina. The Blewett Falls Dam is located approximately 17 miles north of the North Carolina / South Carolina state line. The powerhouse contains six horizontal shaft turbines. The Blewett Falls impoundment, also known as Blewett Falls Lake, extends approximately 11 miles upstream from the dam. Construction of the Blewett Falls Development began in 1905 and was completed in June 1912.