Other Electrical Tips
Here are some other important tips on staying safe and what to do when an accident happens.
- Keep away from transformers. They are generally green and mounted on concrete slabs, and are found where there are underground power lines.
- Never attempt to open the door of one of these transformers. If you find a door unlocked, call Duke Energy immediately.
Electricity & Water
- Because water makes it easier for you to become an electrical path to the ground, be careful when using electricity around water.
- Donít use power tools while the ground is wet or while standing in water.
- Donít touch an electrical appliance while in a pool or hot tub.
- Donít touch any electrical appliances while in the bathtub or shower.
- Make sure outdoor electrical outlets are weatherproofed and protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI). This device is designed to protect you from electrical shock.
When an Accident Happens
- Donít touch a victim whoís in contact with a power line.
- Donít touch anything thatís in contact with the victim.
- Donít attempt to move the power line.
- Call 911.
- If a victim, who is not in contact with the power line, is not breathing or has no pulse, call 911. If you are trained in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), begin immediately.