Wind Energy Solutions | Duke Energy Renewables
Wind Energy Solutions
Duke Energy has been providing wind energy solutions to businesses, developers and small utilities for over a decade. Since 2007, we have invested more than $5 billion to provide innovative, affordable and sustainable clean energy solutions.
Duke Energy Renewables is a leader in the wind energy industry, currently generating around 2,300 megawatts (MW) of wind electricity at 21 wind farms across the United States. Our zero-carbon wind projects provide enough energy to power over half a million homes.
Wind energy plays an important role in the future of our nation’s energy supply, satisfying an increasing demand for reliable clean energy. Our wind energy sites provide many important advantages, including:
- Helping customers meet their renewables mandates or goals with dependable, clean energy
- Providing valuable tax revenue year after year to the communities that host our wind power projects
- Creating jobs, particularly during construction
- Providing a steady, supplemental source of revenue for participating landowners
Generating electricity from renewable resources, such as wind, plays an increasingly significant role in the transition to cleaner energy in the U.S. This is why we continue to develop innovative, renewable power projects that make good financial sense for businesses while preserving the wildlife and habitats within our project footprints.
We consider many factors when building wind projects. We select sites that have:
- Abundant wind resources
- Favorable federal and state policies for renewable energy
- Land available for lease
- Minimal environmental impact
- A local need for renewable energy generation
- The ability to connect to the power grid
Before building, we must also secure permits for each project, determine that the project is financially viable and has a favorable risk profile, and then secure a power purchaser. Prior to construction, we sign contracts to sell the electricity produced by each wind farm. Often, our renewable energy projects help utilities, municipalities or businesses meet their renewable energy goals.