Rogers Energy Complex (Cliffside Steam Station)
- Formerly: Cliffside Steam Station
- Retirement: 2011 (Units 1-4)
- Capacity: 1,387 megawatts
- Location: Cleveland and Rutherford counties, North Carolina
- Commercial Date: 1940
Construction for Cliffside’s first unit took a year and a half to complete. That was back in 1939, when power sales in the area had increased 60 percent in five years. Construction of the plant influenced the town’s framework as families moved into the area to build and manage the plant. That first 38-MW unit, along with units 2, 3 and 4 – a total of 198 MW – were retired on October 1, 2011. These units are now part of the company’s decommissioning and demolition program.
Located one-half mile from the original four units is unit 5 in Rutherford County, N.C. In an effort to reduce emissions since its first commercial year in 1972, two upgrades were added to the unit:
- 2002 – A selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system that reduced nitrogen oxide emissions by approximately 80 percent.
- 2010 – A flue gas desulfurization system (scrubber) that reduced sulfur dioxide emissions by approximately 95 percent.
However, it’s the commercial operation of unit 6 on Dec. 30, 2012, that culminated the modernization project at the site. More than four years of construction resulted in a revolutionary clean-coal unit that can generate up to 825 MW – enough to power 660,000 average-sized homes.
Information included in recent neighbor updates, along with work and progress at the site.