To protect yourself and your family, or your business, remember to follow these rules.
- Have a licensed electrician install stationary or standby emergency generators.
- Plug appliances directly into an emergency or portable generator. We don’t recommend connection of a generator directly to a breaker panel, fuse box or meter box because of the hazard it can create for utility line workers.
- Obey all local, state and national electrical and fire codes.
- Store gasoline in approved fuel containers and out of children’s reach.
- Keep children away from generators.
- Have a fully charged, properly rated fire extinguisher (i.e., rated for electrical and gas fires) ready at all times.
And, remember to:
- Never replenish fuel in a generator while it is running.
- Call an electrician to repair a generator; never attempt to repair it yourself.
- Operate your generator outside. Never operate it inside a building or garage.