H.F. Lee Plant

Retirement: 2012
Capacity: 382 megawatts
Location: Wayne County, North Carolina
Commercial Date: 1951
Status: Retired

After serving customers for more than 60 years, the H.F. Lee Plant was retired on Sept. 15, 2012. As part of Duke Energy's commitment to a cleaner, more efficient energy future, three coal-fired units were retired in September 2012 followed by four oil-fueled combustion turbine units in October 2012.

Originally known as the Goldsboro Plant, operation began shortly after the end of World War II. Customer demand helped necessitate additional pulverized-coal units in 1952 and 1962, and four oil-fueled combustion turbine units between 1967 and 1971.

In March 1964, the plant was renamed after Harry Fitzhugh Lee, a district manager who retired from Carolina Power & Light after a 45-year career.

When the retirement was announced in 2009, the company also announced plans to construct a gas-fired combined cycle plant. The 920-MW station began operation in December 2012.

In addition to the retired coal-fired plant, the H.F. Lee Complex includes:
  • H.F. Lee Combustion Turbines (retired)
  • H.F. Lee Combined Cycle Power Block
  • Wayne County Combustion Turbines
Have a Question? Email your questions to:
CoalAshQuestions@duke-energy.com

Plant Happenings

Information included in recent neighbor updates, along with work and progress at the site.

Date 

Title

Jan. 15, 2020

The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality is hosting public meetings regarding our ash basin closure plans in February. Plans can be seen here: Ash Basin Closure Plan.

icon resources

News & Resources

Information

{{columnHeading}}
{{row.a.Text}} {{row.b}} {{ row.c| date : 'MM/dd/yyyy'}}

This information is currently unavailable

Please check again later

Annual Ash Basin Dam Inspection Reports

@ Sign up for email