Overview of the ProjectWe're improving our transmission infrastructure to help ensure reliable electric service in Leon County. We have identified the need for improvements to the power grid as part of a larger initiative to strengthen reliability in the region.
- Replacing 13.8 miles of existing transmission line between our Lake Talquin Tap substation at 22359 Blountstown Highway in Tallahassee, Fla., and Brickyard Tap substation at 1515 E. Brickyard Road in Midway, Fla.
- The project will replace approximately 96 existing transmission structures with new, primarily concrete, more storm-resistant structures.
- The existing line will continue to operate to deliver power to our customers.
View larger version of map.
Benefits to the Community
- Enhances the ability of Duke Energy to provide more reliable electric service for homes, community facilities and businesses in the area
- Supports current and future growth and development in the area
- Strengthens service against power outages and severe weather
- Continues a robust energy delivery system, integral to continued economic prosperity
What to ExpectField personnel will be surveying our existing easement to collect information and data needed to prepare and plan for engineering design and construction to be performed. Construction is anticipated to begin early spring of 2022 and be completed by fall of 2023.
Activities you may see:
- Ecological (environmental) surveys
- Surveying and staking of the easement boundaries
- Soil borings (drilling to take soil samples)
- Identification of underground utilities
- Project notification: June 2021
- Field crews gathering engineering data: June-December 2021
- Vegetation removal: August 2022
- Construction begin: November 2022
- Project complete: June 2023
*Dates are subject to change
Have a Question or Comment?Call: 877.840.0101
3300 Exchange Place
Lake Mary, FL 32746