- Rebuild the existing 38 miles of 230-kilovolt (kV) transmission line between the existing Crystal River Substation in Crystal River, Fla., and the existing Bronson Substation in Bronson, Fla., on single-circuit monopole structures.
- The transmission line rebuild work will be constructed entirely in existing right of way. All substation work will be inside the existing substation fence line.
- The transmission line will be built on monopoles typically ranging 78 to 105 feet about ground, with a limited number of structures reaching 155 feet above ground.
Benefits to the Community
- Enhance the ability of Duke Energy and neighboring utilities to provide safe and reliable energy to homes, community facilities and businesses in the area.
- Provide flexibility and additional capacity to continue delivering reliable electricity to meet the region's growing energy needs.
- Maintain a robust system for supplying and delivering energy, which is integral to the continued economic prosperity of the region.
What to Expect
Once a project is announced, there are several key steps that take place during the design and pre-construction phases of a transmission line project. During early stages of field investigation, residents may see Duke Energy staff and contractor field crews in the area evaluating existing conditions. This field data is crucial in assisting our engineering teams and other personnel with the design and construction planning for the project. After the field investigation is complete, our engineering team will develop the design for the project.
If a new easement or an update to the current easement is required, a company representative will contact the property owner to discuss the easement process. Additionally, we will be assessing the need to clear obstructions and vegetation within the current easement to prepare for construction. Property owners will be notified in advance should either of these issues need to be addressed.
Construction activities are anticipated to begin in Summer 2022 and be completed in early 2024.
Real Estate Activities Started
Restoration of Right of Way
To be completed after construction