Overview of the ProjectWe're improving our transmission infrastructure, the backbone of our state's energy system. To ensure reliable and safe electric service in Pinellas County and the city of Tarpon Springs, Duke Energy has identified the need for improvements to the power grid in the Tarpon Springs area. This project is part of a larger initiative to strengthen reliability in the region.
- Rebuild 3.7 miles of existing transmission line from our Brooker Creek Substation at 325 East Lake Dr. to our Tarpon Springs Substation at 1 Cemetery Road.
- Upgrade portions of the Brooker Creek Substation.
View larger version of route map
Benefits to the Community
- Enhance the ability of Duke Energy to provide safe and reliable energy to homes, community facilities and businesses in the area.
- Increase capacity to continue delivering reliable electricity to meet the region's growing energy needs.
- New equipment and technology to better withstand extreme weather events.
- Maintain a robust energy delivery system, which is integral to the continued economic prosperity of the region.
What to ExpectDuke Energy representatives will acquire additional easement rights where needed. Field personnel are in the easement collecting information and data needed to prepare and plan for engineering design and construction to be performed. Construction is anticipated to begin in summer 2023. Below are activities you may see.
- Ecological surveys
- Surveying and staking of the easement boundaries
- Soil borings (drilling to take soil samples)
- Identification of underground utilities
- Select trimming and vegetation removal
- Removal/relocation of obstructions (fences, sheds, etc.) for safe access to structures
- Project notification – April 2021
- Soil borings begin – May 2021
- Easement acquisition – Early 2022
- Vegetation removal and construction begin – Summer 2023
- Project complete – early 2024
Have a Question or Comment?Call: 877.552.8725
Duke Energy Public Engagement
3300 Exchange Place
Lake Mary, FL 32746