As construction continues this fall on the Woodspoint to Aero new 138-kilovolt (kV) transmission line project, a portion of the project involves stringing the new transmission line across Mall Road in Florence, Ky. The safety planning for this work will result in intermittent 15-minute overnight closures on Mall Road from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m., Nov. 15-17. Traffic will be returned to regular activity between the 15-minute closures. Traffic control also will be assisting drivers through this construction.
Reliability is a responsibility that Duke Energy takes very seriously. We are working to build a smarter energy future, which includes upgrading the electric system in Boone County, the fastest-growing county in the Duke Energy Kentucky service territory.
Project NeedTo accommodate the growth and prosperity of Boone County now and in the years ahead, Duke Energy’s careful and continuous assessment of the electric system has identified a need to upgrade the electric transmission system to support the community’s growing energy needs.
Duke Energy's Aero Reliability Project is nearing completion after constructing two new substations, upgrading an existing substation, and adding two new 138-kilovolt (kV) transmission lines in Boone County.
Project DescriptionThe Aero Reliability Project includes:
- Aero Substation — A new,138-kV Substation near the Amazon CVG air hub facility. Project completed.
- Woodspoint Substation – a new 138-kV substation near Burlington Pike in Florence, Ky. Project completed.
- A new, 138-kV transmission line from Aero Substation to Woodspoint Substation, approximately 2 miles in length. Portions of this project may be built over an existing 12-kV distribution line.
- An expansion of the 69-kV Oakbrook Substation, located at 1601 Burlington Pike in Boone County, Ky., to add 138-kV capacity. Project completed.
- A new 138-kV transmission line from the Aero Substation to the Oakbrook Substation, approximately 1 mile in length. Project completed.
Benefits to the Community
- Provides additional capacity to continue delivering reliable electricity to address the area’s growing energy needs
- Enhances Duke Energy’s ability to provide safe and reliable energy to homes, schools, hospitals and businesses in the area
- Provides more flexibility for providing critical energy to communities in the region
- Improves the company’s ability to reroute power during planned and unplanned outages, which can support restoration following extreme weather events
- Maintains a robust system for supplying and delivering electric service, which helps promote continued economic growth for the region
EngagementCommunity engagement is a vital part of our siting process. It allows us to receive and consider public input and to share information with the community about this important reliability project for your community.
MeetingsA public meeting was held on June 19, 2019, followed by a 30-day public comment period. The meeting gathered public input on the Aero to Woodspoint transmission line.
Tentative Project Timeline
The project timeline may change with weather impacts on construction, schedule changes, etc.
- Start of construction: Spring 2020
- Construction completion: Fall 2021
- Restoration: Through early Spring 2022
|Maintenance and Use of Transmission Right of Way (PDF)||Resource||07/23/2021|
|Aero Transmission Project Postcard (PDF)||Resource||07/24/2020|
|Update on the Aero to Woodspoint Transmission Line Project (PDF)||Resource||07/24/2020|
|Letter to property owners about Oakbrook Substation expansion (PDF)||Resource||01/13/2020|
|Get Connected (PDF)||Resource||06/19/2019|