What is Power Manager®?
Power Manager is a voluntary program that pays you for reducing your air conditioning use during times of high demand for electricity.
Sign up for Power Manager
Or call 1-877-392-4848 to enroll by phone.
Why Sign Up?
- Depending on which Power Manager option you choose, you will receive a one-time credit of $25 or $35 on your bill just for signing up.
- You will receive a credit on your electric bill whenever we use the Power Manager device to turn your air conditioning unit off and then automatically back on.
- You are helping to preserve the environment and keep electric costs low by reducing the demand for electricity and delaying the need to build additional power plants in our region.
How the Program Works
Duke Energy will install a free load management switch next to your air conditioner on the outside of your home. This radio-controlled device will cycle your air conditioner off and on when demand is especially high. Cycling events are most likely to occur during the following time periods:
- May through September
- Monday through Friday
- Afternoon to early evening
Depending upon the option you choose, your air conditioner is cycled off and then back on approximately one time each half hour for the length of the cycling event. Cycling events normally last two to three and a half hours and will not occur on weekends or holidays (except in a system emergency). To help keep you comfortable, the indoor fan continues to run to circulate air throughout your home.
To learn more about Power Manager and your options, see the Power Manager FAQs.
How to Get Started
To sign up for Power Manager, you must:
- Be a Duke Energy residential customer.
- Own your single-family home.
- Have a functional central air conditioning unit with an outside compressor.
There are two ways to sign up for Power Manager:
- Call us at 1-877-392-4848 to enroll by phone.
- Enroll online using our Power Manager Enrollment Form