Stock Transfer Instructions
Duke Energy Corporation is a Paperless Legals Agent (PLA). As such, Duke Energy relies on the medallion guaranteed signature of the shareholder or his/her agent in order to transfer stock.
Eligible institutions participating in medallion guarantee programs include banks, savings and loans, broker-dealers or credit unions. Please contact your local branch to determine if that particular location can provide this service.
Supporting legal documentation (death certificates, powers of attorney, letters of testamentary, etc) must be presented to and retained by the institution providing the medallion guarantee.
- In order to transfer shares, complete and sign the stock power form (pdf, 137 KB) with the appropriate information requested. Signature(s) of shareholder(s) must be medallion guaranteed by a participant in an approved medallion guarantee program. Any person acting on behalf of a shareholder must identify his/her capacity immediately following his/her signature. For example: John Doe, Executor NOTARY ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Complete and sign the W-9 form (pdf, 37 KB) with the taxpayer identification number for the new account.
- Pursuant to IRS guidelines, the date of death must be provided for a decedent. This is necessary in determining cost basis for the shares.
- If shares are being transferred as a gift, cost basis for the shares must be provided as well as the date of the gift.
- If the shareholder is deceased, an Inheritance Tax Waiver must be presented, if the decedentís state of residence requires one.
Shareholders, or any person acting on behalf of a shareholder, should review guarantor requirements prior to obtaining a guarantor signature stamp.
Medallion Guarantee Exceptions
(No medallion guarantee required)
- Removing deceased joint tenant from account and transferring to surviving joint tenant: Provide certified death certificate for deceased joint tenant and social security number of surviving joint tenant
- Removing custodian due to minor reaching age of majority: Provide certified birth certificate
NOTE: We recommend sending stock certificates by registered and insured mail for 2% of the market value or $35.00, whichever is greater.
Return all requested documentation to Duke Energy Corporation; Investor Relations; PO Box 1005; Charlotte, NC 28201-1005. If using an overnight delivery service such as Federal Express or UPS, send to Duke Energy Corporation; Investor Relations; 526 S. Church Street; Charlotte, NC 28202.