Start, Stop & Move Service
Please allow at least three business days to complete your request.
How it Works
You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Physical address (where do you need service turned on)
- Address you are moving from
- Date you need the service (NOTE: Please allow three days to process online requests)
- Mailing address (if different from the physical address)
- Date of birth
- Social Security # or Federal Tax ID
- Spouse / roommate information
Need to start service at a new location? Choose the Start Service option. In some cases, a security deposit may be required. If we cannot verify your identity during the application process, we'll contact you to complete an Identity Verification Form.
Already a Duke Energy customer? If you are moving from one residence in our service area to another, select this option. If it is necessary for you to re-establish credit with a security deposit or if you need to obtain an acceptable guarantor we will contact you by email with additional instructions.
Need to discontinue service? Select this option to close your account.
What information do I need to get started with my application?
- Social Security number or completed Identity Verification Form
- Date of Birth (must be at least 18 years of age)
- Contact information — best phone number and email address
- Service address (valid street number and apartment number, if applicable)
- Mailing address (if different from above)
- Spouse information
Why does Duke Energy need my Social Security number and date of birth to start service?
In order for Duke Energy to extend service to you, we need to verify your identity. Providing this information to Duke Energy helps us protect your identity and validate your credit profile.
How soon can I start, stop or move my service?
Duke Energy requests that customers applying online allow three business days for their application to be processed.
Can my spouse or another person request connection of service for me?
No, we can put service only in the name of the person making the application.
Why do I have to pay a deposit?
Duke Energy customers use electrical service before paying for it. Your monthly bill reflects usage during the previous month. For this reason, new customers may be required to make a deposit based on a credit check performed by Experian. Existing customer's credit history will be reviewed to determine if a deposit currently exists or if a new deposit is required. This helps protect Duke Energy and its customers from those who use electricity and then move without paying for it. Those losses affect all of our customers, so the security deposit helps us keep everyone's costs down.
When will I receive my deposit back?
Duke Energy will retain the security deposit until the account establishes a good payment history, or until service is disconnected and the deposit is applied to the final bill.