Skip to Content

Report An Environmental Concern

Protecting the environment
We're serious about protecting the environment.

We're serious about protecting the environment. If you see a potential environmental violation, report it by email.

For all other questions, contact Customer Service.

Help us promote environmental stewardship

The safe operation of our system and the well-being of our employees, customers and communities are our highest priorities. And assuring compliance with our nation's environmental laws is one of Duke Energy's primary commitments.

As a member of the public, you can voice your concerns about possible environmental violations by Duke Energy or at a Duke Energy facility. You can report a suspected violation of environmental laws or regulations 24 hours a day, seven days a week by sending us an email. For all other questions, contact Customer Service.

What is a possible environmental violation?

Violations of environmental laws can take many forms, including:
  • Excessive emissions from power plants
  • Improper treatment, storage or disposal of hazardous wastes
  • Excessive discharge of water pollutants
  • Unpermitted dredging or filling of waters and wetlands
  • Falsifying reports to regulators or other environmental records
Not all air emissions, wastewater discharges or chemical spills violate the law. But if you see something that appears suspicious to you, go ahead and make the report. We will investigate all reports as potential violations. Please provide as much information as you can. The more information you can provide, the better able we will be to perform the investigation.

What is an environmental emergency and how do I report it?

An environmental emergency is a sudden threat to the public health or the well-being of the environment such as an oil or chemical spill, or a vehicle accident resulting in the release of pollutants.

Although Duke Energy investigates all reports quickly, sending us an email is not intended to provide emergency response. If you are reporting an environmental emergency, please contact emergency responders by calling 911.

Non-environmental customer service issues or concerns (e.g. vegetation management, tree trimming, utility equipment questions, billing, payments, start, stop or transfer service, other utility products and services, or outage and storm information) should be directed to Customer Service