Temporary Electric Service For a new residence
Before beginning construction, this seven-step process alerts us that you need power at your site, and sets up your account on our building construction rate.
- You arrange for an electrician to set the temporary meter base for the construction site.
- You must have a My Duke Energy account to apply for temporary service. If you already have a My Duke Energy account, please sign in. If you do not currently have a My Duke Energy account, please register.
- Once you are logged into My Duke Energy, select Temporary Electric Service under the "Apply for Service" section.
- Duke Energy schedules any construction work, holds for inspection/permit if needed, and issues a work request number for job tracking.
- Duke Energy begins line construction, if needed, before inspection.
- You arrange for inspection/permit by the city or county, providing the inspector with the same construction address you’ve given to Duke Energy.
- The city or county performs the inspection/issues the permit, and Duke Energy obtains the results. (This process may vary from county to county.)
- Duke Energy sets the meter on a temporary meter base.
For more information, use the Duke Energy Builder Line:
Service representatives are available 24/7. Our busiest days are Mondays and days after holidays.