Community Events Calendar
McGuire Nuclear Station and the EnergyExplorium host many events throughout the year. We have something for everyone: Movies@McGuire, Charlotte Symphony concerts, scouting days, hunting and fishing days, homeschooler days, a fall festival, art shows, realtor seminars and many other fun events. All of our events are FREE!
Additional information on upcoming events will be posted below so check periodically to see what’s coming up at McGuire and the EnergyExplorium. For more information about our events, please call 980-875-5600.
NC Science Festival Homeschool Activities
The NC Science Festival (March 28 - April 13) is designed to encourage the love of science in young people throughout North Carolina. At the EnergyExplorium, we are excited to host FREE, special programs for the homeschool community. As detailed below, we have two days of tailored programs, designed especially for the NC Science Festival. Call the EnergyExplorium to register, 980-875-5600. Space is limited.
Upper Elementary/Middle School Level Program - Super Science Demonstration
Monday, March 31
9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
The EnergyExplorium in partnership with the Catawba Science Center will allow students to explore the use of chemistry and physics to demonstrate amazing science principles. Featured demonstrations include a bed of nails, liquid nitrogen, flammable versus nonflammable gases, a tablecloth yanks and lots more.
- The day will start with a 45-minute show in the EnergyExplorium auditorium.
- A breakout session will follow to allow students to take part in a variety of hands-on activities (mentioned above) as well as a variety of stations including a look at carbon dioxide, pressure and endothermic and exothermic reactions.
High School Level Program - Problem Solving: A Key to Engineering
Friday, April 4
9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Engineering can be summed up in two words: PROBLEM SOLVING.
If students already have an interest in engineering or are great problem solvers, then make plans to attend this program.
- The program will include the following:
- Students will work together on a variety of activities to get a better understanding of engineering and teamwork.
- Students will be given a problem and will have to figure out a solution by participating in the following activities: building wind turbines and simple DC circuits and experimenting with control relays and electromagnetics