What is PowerShare®?
PowerShare is a demand response program that rewards your business for adjusting energy consumption levels during peak time periods.
To enroll contact our Business Service Center
Or call 800-777-0046
Features & Benefits
- Allows you to profit from effective energy management.
- Helps you reduce energy usage, operating costs and carbon emissions.
- Allows you to lock in an incentive credit for easy budgeting.
- Reduces the need to run expensive generation plants during high demand, resulting in lower wholesale market prices and end-user savings.
- Mitigates electrical emergencies, increases system reliability and reduces customer inconvenience.
- Offers program options to best fit your company’s operations:
- Mandatory Curtailment Option: Enrollment requires you to reduce and maintain load during each Mandatory Curtailment Period to the level specified in your PowerShare contract. Curtailment is implemented when Duke Energy experiences capacity constraints. Incentive credits are paid monthly and for load curtailed during each event.
- Voluntary Curtailment Option: Participation allows you to take part in Voluntary Curtailment Periods on a per event basis. If you elect to participate in an event, you must reduce and maintain load to a level you specify prior to the event. Curtailment is initiated at Duke Energy’s discretion and notification is typically provided one business day in advance. Credits are paid for load curtailed during each event.
- Generator Curtailment Option: Enrollment requires load transfer from the Duke Energy source to a private generation source during each Generator Curtailment Period. A Generator Curtailment Period is implemented when Duke Energy experiences capacity constraints. Incentive credits are paid monthly and for load transferred to the generator during events.
- CallOption: Enrollment requires you to reduce and maintain a predetermined electrical load during Emergency and Economic Curtailment events. You select the number of events in which you'd like to participate on an annual basis. The CallOption provides customers with shorter contracts, longer lead times, lower load requirements, and buy-through provisions for Economic Events.
Duke Energy is committed to meeting our customers’ growing energy needs in a responsible and low-cost way. Building new generation facilities is expensive. Our demand-response programs are the cheapest, fastest and cleanest way to meet energy demand, while providing our business customers with a way to profit from their energy curtailment.
How to Get Started
- Enrollment is free.
- To sign up for PowerShare, contact your business relations manager or the Business Service Center at 800-777-0046.
- Once enrolled, you will access PowerShare through My Duke Energy – a dedicated Web Portal for our business customers.
For additional information about PowerShare, call us at 800-777-0046.
Satisfactory compliance in all programs is required for continued participation and payment of credits. Financial penalties for failure to perform apply in certain situations.