Catawba Nuclear Station
- Capacity: 2,258 megawatts
- Location: York County, S.C.
- Commercial Date: 1985
Catawba Nuclear Station is located on Lake Wylie in York County, S.C. The lake, created in 1904, is the oldest lake on the Catawba River, and provides cooling water for both Catawba Nuclear Station and Allen Steam Station.
Catawba Nuclear Station is jointly owned by North Carolina Municipal Power Agency Number One, North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation, Piedmont Municipal Power Agency and Duke Energy. Unit 1 began commercial operation in 1985, followed by unit 2 in 1986.
Duke Energy nuclear power plants operate at a very high level of security every day. Catawba Nuclear Station was designed and built with redundant safety systems and multiple barriers to protect the public, plant workers and the environment.