Bridgewater Hydro Station
- Capacity: 31.5 megawatts
- Location: McDowell and Burke counties, North Carolina
- Commercial Date: 2011
Bridgewater Hydro Station has deep roots in the company’s early history. In 1919, the original Bridgewater powerhouse entered commercial operation and was decommissioned in 2011. Located on Lake James which spans McDowell and Burke counties, N.C., Bridgewater Hydro Station uses three state-of-the art turbine generators designed for greater efficiency and to increase dissolved oxygen downstream.
Bridgewater is the first of 13 hydro stations that stretch from Morganton, N.C. to Wateree Hydro Station located near Wateree, S.C. Bridgewater was named for the Southern Railway Depot that received materials used to build the original powerhouse.
Dam improvements continue at Lake James
Duke Energy’s Bridgewater Hydroelectric Project began in 2005 and consists of enhancing three dams: Linville, Paddy Creek and Catawba. Learn more about the Bridgewater Hydro Project.