W.S. Lee Steam Station
- Retirement: 2014
- Capacity: 370 megawatts
- Location: Anderson County, South Carolina
- Commercial Date: 1951
The William States (W.S.) Lee Steam Station consisted of a three-unit coal-fired generating facility located on the Saluda River in Anderson County, S.C. The facility is named for Duke Power co-founder William States Lee and is one of two Duke Energy coal-fired generating facilities in South Carolina. W.S. Lee operates as a cycling station to supplement supply when electricity demand is highest.
In January 2007, Duke Energy began commercial operation of two new 42-megawatt combustion turbine units. The two units replaced three existing combustion turbine units that were decommissioned at that time.
The W.S. Lee Steam Station officially retired as a coal plant on Nov. 6, 2014. W.S. Lee was Duke Energy's last remaining coal-fired plant in South Carolina. Units 1 and 2 will be decommissioned, and unit 3 has been converted to burn natural gas. A separate 750- megawatt natural gas combined-cycle plant will be built at the site, with construction expected to begin in summer 2015.
Information included in recent neighbor updates, along with work and progress at the site.