Natural Gas Priority Use Customers
What is it?
Please read the guidelines below. If you believe you should be listed as a *priority use customer, please register your business name by submitting the form below. All residential customers are considered priority use customers; any non-residential customer may apply to be considered a priority use customer, provided such customer notifies Duke Energy Ohio, Inc., (Duke Energy Ohio) of this request and provides the specific reasons why it should be considered a priority use customer in accordance with the Ohio Administrative Code (O.A.C.) 4901:5-25. Registration is to be made through the Duke Energy Ohio website.
*Duke Energy Ohio reserves the right to determine whether a customer qualifies as an priority use customer.
Throughout its entire assigned service area, in the event of a declared gas supply emergency that necessitates emergency curtailment of gas service, Duke Energy Ohio may curtail gas service to its customers, either at its sole discretion or under applicable policies, guidelines, directives, or procedures issued by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) or other authority having jurisdiction, in accordance with Ohio law.
General Rules Applicable to Gas Supply Emergency
Emergency curtailment procedures may be necessary in the event of a gas supply emergency, in the assigned service area of Duke Energy Ohio and/or outside the assigned service area of Duke Energy Ohio.
A gas supply emergency refers to a situation in which the Governor of Ohio has declared an energy emergency, having found that the health, safety, or welfare of residents or counties of Ohio is so imminently and substantially threatened by a gas supply shortage that immediate action is necessary to prevent loss of life, protect the public health or safety, and prevent unnecessary or avoidable damage to property. In such a situation, Duke Energy Ohio may take any remedial measure that it deems reasonably necessary to alleviate the emergency condition or curtail gas service to its customers in the manner set forth under the Duke Energy Ohio Natural Gas Emergency Plan, either at its sole discretion or under applicable policies, guidelines, directives, or procedures issued by the PUCO or other authority having jurisdiction in accordance with Ohio law.
Priority Use Customers
Priority use customers are defined as follows:
- Medical and human life-support systems and facilities.
- Electric generation and central heat production, as well as electric generating facilities and central heating plants serving the public.
- Telephone, radio, television, and newspaper facilities.
- Local and suburban transit systems and air terminal facilities.
- Police and firefighting facilities, emergency management and response facilities, military bases, federal facilities essential to national defense, and Ohio national guard facilities.
- Sanitary service facilities for collection, treatment, or disposal of community sewage.
- Production facilities for gas, propane, and petroleum fuels and for fuel refineries.
- Pipeline transmission and distribution facilities for gas, propane, and petroleum fuels.
- Production, processing, distribution, and storage facilities for perishable medicines and medical supplies, dairy products, meat, fish, poultry, eggs, produce, grain, breads, and livestock and poultry feed.
- Buildings and facilities, limited to protecting the physical plant and structure, appurtenances, equipment, product inventories, raw materials, livestock, and other personal or real property.
- Water supply and pumping facilities.
- Coal mines and related facilities.
- Such other similar facilities as may be determined by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio to be a priority use.
Duke Energy shall make reasonable provision to supply satisfactory and continuous service, but does not guarantee a constant or uninterrupted supply of gas and shall not be liable for any damage or claim of damage attributable to any interruption caused by unavoidable accident or casualty, extraordinary action of the elements, action of any governmental authority, litigation, or by any cause which Duke Energy Ohio could not have reasonably foreseen and made provision against.
Priority use customers are responsible for anticipating the possibility that natural gas may be curtailed and for developing contingency plans if continuity of service is essential. Such contingency plans may include installing on-site backup systems or evacuation to another location.
Duke Energy Ohio will make reasonable efforts to maintain service to priority use customers during an emergency and will attempt to minimize the time period of any interruption, when practical. Duke Energy Ohio may, however, curtail natural gas to priority use customers during an emergency. We will attempt to identify priority use customers and maintain a list of these customers with annual verification and updates.
Priority use customers should prepare to implement their contingency plans any time that Duke Energy Ohio makes a public appeal for voluntary conservation, due to the possibility that Duke Energy Ohio may experience a gas supply emergency during such time that Duke Energy Ohio makes public appeals for voluntary conservation.
If Duke Energy Ohio has adequate advance notice that a gas supply emergency may occur, then Duke Energy Ohio will attempt to call priority use customers to alert them of the possibility of a curtailment. Due to the possible sudden onset of an emergency and the time necessary to contact all priority use customers, Duke Energy Ohio may not be able to contact priority use customers in advance of an emergency.
If you believe you should be listed as a priority use customer, please submit the Priority Use Customer Application for consideration.
Have Questions? Contact Us.