What if my children are in school? Oconee
Schools in the area around Oconee Nuclear Station have emergency plans for school children.
- In an emergency, school officials would be contacted by county emergency management officials.
- If an evacuation were ordered, all children attending school inside the 10-mile Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ) would be moved to the pick-up point for their school. This may be different from the reception center listed for the student’s home.
- Parents should pick up students at the pick-up points only. Do not call or go to the schools. This will help avoid delays. All pick-up points are more than 10 miles from the station.
- Adults would care for the children until parents arrive at the pick-up point.
- It is important for parents to know in what zones their children’s schools are located. To find out, locate the correct zone on the map (pdf, 776 KB) for your children’s schools. Parents should familiarize themselves with the pick-up points and reception centers (pdf, 181 KB) for their children’s schools.
If your children are ever left home alone, you should tell them what to do in an emergency. Be sure they know what zone they are in.