News Release
October 01, 2003

DUKE ENERGY COMPLETES SALE OF VECTOR PIPELINE OWNERSHIP INTEREST

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – Duke Energy announced today it completed the sale of its 30-percent interest in Vector Pipeline to Enbridge Inc. and DTE Energy Company for US$145 million. The agreement was first announced Sept. 29.

Enbridge now owns 60 percent of Vector and DTE owns the remaining 40 percent. Each company paid $72.5 million for an equal share of Duke Energy’s previous 30-percent ownership stake.

The 348-mile Vector Pipeline transports Western Canadian natural gas from the Chicago-area market hub in Joliet, Ill., to the hub at Dawn, Ontario.   Duke Energy acquired ownership interest in the pipeline through its 2002 acquisition of Westcoast Energy.

Duke Energy is a diversified multinational energy company with an integrated network of energy assets and expertise. The company manages a dynamic portfolio of natural gas and electric supply, delivery and trading businesses – meeting the energy needs of customers throughout North America and in key markets around the world. Duke Energy, headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., is a Fortune 500 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available on the Internet at: www.duke-energy.com.

Contact: Terry Francisco, Duke Energy
Phone: 704/373-6680
24-Hour Phone: 704/382-8333
e-mail: thfrancisco@duke-energy.com
Contact: Gretchen Krueger, Duke Energy Gas Transmission
Phone: 713/627-4072
24-Hour Phone: 704/382-8333
e-mail: gdkrueger@duke-energy.com