Evaluating Carbon Offsets
Duke Energy Kentucky will select carbon offset programs or projects that have been evaluated and approved using strict criteria established by the Environmental Defense Fund.
All programs must meet the following criteria:
- Programs must create new, direct emission reductions.
- Programs must have a clearly identified timeframe for when emission reductions will be achieved.
- The emission reductions must be serialized and tracked to assure reductions are not reoffered for sale.
- All claims should be independently verified and verifiable. The project developer and retailer must agree to participate in ongoing quality assurance/quality control assessment by Environmental Defense and/or its designee. Copies of all verification reports and materials should be provided.
- The emission reductions are generated in ways that produce net positive environmental and community impacts.