Gas Meter Change Program
Duke Energy is focused on providing our customers with safe, reliable and efficient natural gas service.
As part of that service, we must comply with various federal and state regulations. The Kentucky Public Service Commission (KPSC) requires that natural gas meters be tested periodically based on the type and size of the gas meter. Duke Energy needs your assistance in accessing our gas meter located on your premises so we can remove the existing meter and install a new meter.
The Kentucky gas meter change is performed at no cost to the customer.
How the gas meter change works:
- The gas meter change takes approximately one hour to complete. The duration depends on the location of your gas meter and the number of natural gas appliances.
- A Duke Energy technician(s) will perform this work. Technicians will be readily identifiable by:
- Wearing a visible Duke Energy logoed employee identification badge that includes a picture. The employee ID will be worn on the outside of the uniform.
- Driving a Duke Energy vehicle that includes the Duke Energy logo.
- Your natural gas service will be temporarily turned off by the technician(s). You will not be able to use your gas furnace, water heater or other natural gas appliances during this time.
- The gas meter will be removed and another gas meter installed.
- The natural gas service will be reconnected and the Duke Energy technician(s) will relight all your natural gas appliances prior to leaving.
An adult must be present during the meter change. This is required as some gas meters are located indoors, and for all meter changes the Duke Energy technician will need to relight the natural gas appliances after the work is complete.*
*State regulations permit us to disconnect natural gas service if equipment and inspection access is denied. Our goal is to provide and maintain a safe natural gas system by completing these important Kentucky gas meter tests.
Duke Energy will notify Kentucky customers of a gas meter that requires testing by either:
- An automated telephone message asking customers to phone Duke Energy at 513.287.5306, Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. to schedule an appointment.
- A postcard request in the U.S. mail asking customers to make a meter change appointment by:
- Calling Duke Energy at 513.287.5306 to schedule the meter change appointment.
- Completing Duke Energy self-addressed, postage-paid provided postcard with the desired meter change appointment time and placing the postcard in the US Mail.
Kentucky Natural Gas Customers can also contact Duke Energy to schedule the gas meter change seven days a week, 24 hours a day by phoning toll free at 800.544.6900 and asking for extension 5306. Outside of normal business hours, customers can leave a voice message with their name, address and phone number, and your call will be returned the following workday.
Appointments are made in four-hour windows and can be made Monday through Saturday during the following times:
- Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
If you miss the gas meter change appointment and the gas meter is located outside, the Duke Energy technician(s) may turn off the natural gas and complete the meter change. When this occurs, the technician(s) will leave a Duke Energy door hanger that provides a telephone number to make arrangements to have your natural gas service restored and appliances re-lit. In these cases, the natural gas service and relighting of natural gas appliances is performed at no cost to the customer.