Helping Hand was established in 1983 and is available to provide assistance in the winter to eligible Duke Energy customers. This program is funded by Duke Energy customers, employees and shareholders to lend a Helping Hand to those who are least able to cope with their winter electric bills.
How the Helping Hand Program Works
Beginning each fall, the Helping Hand Program will provide financial assistance to Duke Energy customers who meet certain criteria. The Helping Hand Program will provide a one-time $100 payment on an eligible customer's account.
Helping Hand Program Qualifications
To be eligible for assistance from the program, customers will need to meet the following criteria:
- At least 60 years of age or disabled
- Duke Energy residential customer of record
- Total annual household income meets Energy Assistance Program guidelines
- Energy Assistance Program (EAP) applicant
How to Apply
Duke Energy has partnered with the Indiana Community Action Association Energy Assistance Program (EAP) to distribute the program dollars. The EAP agencies will notify recipients if they are eligible for the $100 credit.
How to Make A Donation:
If you would like to share the warmth with those less fortunate in your community, contributions can be made in two ways.
- You may add a donation to your monthly Duke Energy bill. (Most monthly bills have a special notation in the upper right-hand corner to mark your Helping Hand donation.)
- Write in the dollar amount you would like to give (in even dollar amounts).
- Add the amount to your bill payment.
- You also may mail donations by check or money order only. Checks should be made payable to Helping Hand.
Please mail donations to:
Duke Energy Helping Hand
1000 E. Main Street
Plainfield, Indiana 46168
Donations may be tax deductible.
Paperless Billing Customer Donations
Our Paperless Billing customers can easily make a donation online when scheduling their monthly Duke Energy payment. Customers will need to complete the section titled "Customer Contribution" if they would like to make a donation to Helping Hand.
 Individual tax situations vary. Consult a tax advisor before claiming a contribution on a tax return.