Evaluating Carbon Offsets
NC GreenPower will select carbon offset programs or projects that have been evaluated and approved using strict criteria.
All programs must meet the following criteria:
- Programs must create new, direct emission reductions.
- Programs must have a clearly identified timeframe for when emission reductions will be achieved.
- The emission reductions must be serialized and tracked to assure reductions are not reoffered for sale.
- All claims should be independently verified and verifiable. The project developer and retailer must agree to participate in ongoing quality assurance/quality control assessment. Copies of all verification reports and materials should be provided.
- The emission reductions are generated in ways that produce net positive environmental and community impacts.