Beckjord Station Through the Years
The construction of W.C. Beckjord Station was announced on November 10, 1948, at a location 18 miles upstream of Cincinnati, on the Ohio River.
The site was dedicated on June 12, 1952, with the first 100-megawatt coal unit in commercial operation. Five additional coal units were added by 1969, for a total generating capacity of 862 megawatts. In the early 1970s, four oil-fired combustion turbines were added, with nameplate capacities of 61 megawatts each.
The facility has certainly served Duke Energy Ohio customers well, but as technology and plant designs have improved, Beckjord’s coal-fired units have become a less economically viable option for our customers.
The facility has been part of its community’s fabric for more than half a century, and Duke Energy Ohio is proud of the legacy its employees have built. We are sensitive to the impact the retirement will have on the community and remain committed to helping with economic development in the region.
Photos of W.C. Beckjord Station through the years